Friday 16 August 2013

Jamie's Diner, Shaftesbury Avenue

Jamie’s Diner

An impromptu visit to Jamie Oliver’s Diner just off Piccadilly had me feeling quite excited, I’d seen the bright lights when walking past on previous occasions and I’d heard good things. So on a rare free evening my friend and I decided to get around to going.

On arriving we got a great welcome from the bouncer(?!) but then were kept waiting for much longer than necessary at the foot of the stairs by the waiting staff, in a very confusing set up where the host’s podium has no host and there is no indication of what system is in place for seating oneself. After hovering for some time we were noticed and seated. the tables are alarmingly closer together – the better to squeeze more paying customers in – and we, unfortunately were seated next to a very ‘affectionate’ couple.
The servers are friendly but not sycophantic, my kind of service but we had to wait quite a while to give our orders, despite the restaurant not being too busy. To start we shared a deep fried squid with a chilli sour cream sauce, which was tasty but nothing to write home about. As a main course I had the Beef Burger with Skin-on-Fries and Rainbow Slaw, my friend had the vegetarian Happy Cow Burger with Avocado Fries and Rainbow Slaw. I asked for the burger to be cooked medium rare but was informed that due to health legislation they could only cook the burger well-done – I’m not too well read up on these regulations but from the poor explanation I was given I deduced that the quality of the meat would not allow low levels of cooking. I thought that Jamie Oliver was all about the quality. I also asked two different servers for the burger without tomatoes and ended up having it brought to me disappointingly with a tomato. Our sides were also on the wrong plates so my friend had to wait for his sides while they took back my food to prepare for it as I had asked. The burger was mediocre at best, mainly down to the fact that it was over-cooked. My friend’s veggie burger wasn’t anything special either although the avocado fries were an interesting addition and very tasty.
My favourite thing about the meal were the drinks – we had a great rib-sticking chocolate milkshake which was perfectly sweet without being too sickly and also notable was the pink cola – definitely worth a try.
In the end we mentioned the problem with the order to the manager and he gave us 10% off the bill, which was a nice gesture, but didn’t make the evening any less disappointing.
 The theming in the dining hall is great and does make dining here an experience, but it really feels like they have made more effort on the props and waiting staff’s uniforms than on the food – unfortunately the restaurant is trading on Jamie’s name but ultimately delivers something less than ‘pucker’. 5 out of 10.
£20 a head for 2 courses without alcohol.


What we ate:

To start:
Deep fried calamari with chilli sour cream dip

To follow:
Beef Burger with Skin on Fries and Rainbow Slaw
Happy Cow Burger with Avocado Fries and Rainbow Slaw

To Drink:
Chocolate Milkshake
Pink Cola




Address:
23A Shaftesbury Avenue, London, W10 7EF (nearest station is Piccadilly Circus)
Website
Booking number:

O2O3 6974 117

No comments:

Post a Comment